Tuesday, 30 October 2012
Social Media in the Media
Newspaper staff are all middle-class now you need a degree and can only get a job by working unpaid as an intern for months. Here's how they react to developments in social media:
1. They’ve never heard of it.
2. They put it in quote marks and add a “popular beat combo, me lud” explanation (Twitter – the micro-blogging site).
3. They quote from it, but only the select the lamest posts/tweets.
4. They reluctantly admit that it’s where news will break.
5. They pontificate about it endlessly – what it’s going to do to our minds, society etc etc etc.
6. They invent an innovation-specific disease like texter’s thumb (“Twitter causes solipsism” Nov 16 2011)